Monday, July 13, 2009

Matthew 10:32

“Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.”

I have had many opportunities lately to speak with friends and others about my faith. I seem to get many questions regarding Biblical topics and verses and how they are related to today. Thankfully I have contact with some great pastors who help me out when I don’t know the answer. There is another set of opportunities that I have had lately as well. I have been blessed with the opportunity to follow Pastor Maas around on a few occasions as well as just speaking with both he and Pastor Sippy. They have given me great insights as well as suggestions. The best though has been a question. We were talking about how I am not very outgoing and that is something that I believe I need to work on. But more specifically I want to work on being more open to sharing the Gospel message. That is where the question was asked of me. It hit me and I really didn’t have an answer that made any sense what so ever. The question was:

What have you got to lose?

. . . Think about that question for a minute.

There are many ways that the question can apply to you. Everything from possessions to attributes, but I want to look at it in a different way, and at the end I will pose the question to you.

Out of many of the things I have taken away from the pastors one that continually sticks in my mind is this. The only way for those who don’t know about Jesus to find out about Him is to hear about Jesus. After thinking on the question for quite some time, I realized that if I continue to pass up opportunities to share the Word I am not giving everyone the opportunity to know Jesus. I wish we were capable of sharing with every individual we come into contact with. Unfortunately the way the world is with all its hustle and bustle that just isn’t the case. But when the opportunity does present itself why not seize it?

Going back to the opportunities I have had with both pastors. I got to go on visitations with Pastor Maas to the nursing homes (which I mentioned before). And one of the individuals we visited shared with us how God has granted him the opportunity to share with those around him even in the home. I saw a news story of a little girl who drew pictures when she was younger of helping the less fortunate and now, God has led her to open facilities and fundraisers to help these people. Everyone is capable of sharing at any age. From little kids, to the retired in nursing homes. That’s what brings me to the verse I first mentioned. Matthew 10:32 “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.” This passage in Matthew states it pretty clearly. If you acknowledge Christ here on Earth, so will Christ do the same for you in heaven. So let me pose the question once again:

What have you got to lose?

I realized the answer is nothing. Sharing the Word of God with someone is a privilege and can’t be taken away from us. Just because someone is not open to coming to Christ doesn’t mean that we will lose our faith because they don’t want to join us. It doesn’t mean that our faith struggles because we don’t bring each individual to our family of brothers and sisters in Christ. It’s not easy to share the Word. It can be difficult and nerve wrecking, but one thing it is, is satisfying. Sharing the Word of God is a blessing. It is your faith, and you have nothing to lose by sharing it. I pray that each of you will strive to share with others more, knowing that it can help you build your faith, and hopefully spark the faith of another.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys need to write more!