Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Child of the Light"

A couple Sundays ago we sang a hymn titled, “I want to walk as a child of the Light.” I didn’t think too much of it that Sunday morning, I knew I hadn’t heard it before but I liked it. Then as I arrived at work today it hit me why. Let me explain:

Most days at work I do the same things, spend time on the floor helping customers, managing to ensure the store runs smoothly, ordering product and adhering to any other tasks the director asks of (just to name a few things). Today was different though, the boss asked everyone to review the Crisis Management binder. As you can imagine the binder has all the information to help you out if any sort of a disaster were to strike. We looked at everything from shoplifters, to injured customers to bad weather and the results of it. At that time I remembered how a few months back I was walking the store and all of a sudden the power was out, and the back-up generator didn’t kick on. I was standing in unfamiliar territory, no power, which means no lights to guide our way. I had to find a flashlight. That’s when the song hit me. “I want to walk as a child of the Light,” I was walking around the unlit store, with merely one little light leading my path, directing me so I didn’t run into things.

“I want to walk as a child of the Light, I want to follow Jesus.” Life brings all sorts of interesting situations, some good and some bad, but in all of them we need to follow Jesus. In all times, we need to shine as a light and in the good times, thank God for all He does for us. In the bad we need to trust His Word and know that when we don’t know where we are or what to do or where we are going (much like being in a store without power and only a flashlight) that He will guide us. We know that he has a plan for us, and that His plan is not to harm us and not to lead us astray, but rather a plan to lead us through life (Jeremiah 29). Through the thick and thin He is there for us.

“I am the Way, the Truth and the Life” is how Jesus responds in the book of John. The world is a big place and not everyone knows him as the Way, Truth and Life. So my question for you is, are you walking as a child of the Light so that others can see God’s work in you? And are you using the Word as your Crisis Management book, not only in the bad times but in the good times as well?

4 comments:

Joseph said...

I really like that Dan. That's what I'm really learning through my experiences right now, is that I need to have Christ as my one and only light in ALL times. Good and bad. Especially the bad... and especially the good. And really especially those in between times. Mostly just especially.

I'm trying to force that into my brain and heart. It is a struggle to do so every day, but I am slowly learning, life long learning.

Duane Highley said...

I was struck by this quotation by Martin Luther King Jr.,"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

Be the light for someone today. God calls us to be the light for one another.

Joseph said...

That reminds me of the quote, "do not curse the darkness, instead light a candle and take joy"

and I think that quote and the MLK one and all the others comes from John chapter one and other such passages

Dan said...

Joe, remember Heit's Point, we did the Crosswalk and we shined the light up towards the sky? Thats what I thought of with Mr Highley's post, the light we shined at the sky moved the darkness out and pointed as high as we could see.