Monday, January 17, 2011

Sojourn

According to dictionary.com, sojourn means, "a temporary stay"

The word "sojourn" appeared in several of the daily verses that I got the other day. was

One of these verses was 1 Peter 2:11 "Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul."

Another instance was Psalm 15 "O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill?..."

Now certainly there were many good points and thoughts in these verses and the other verses I got that day. The thing that stood out to me was the sojourn part. A familiar hymn that I love comes to mind, "I am but a stranger here, heaven is my home." We are all exile, travelers, wanders, on this earth. In the first verse that I particularly like that we are then urged to abstain from passions of the flesh.

Not only are we wanders, we are in a war against the forces of this world. Just because we are wandering and lost in this world, it doesn't mean we should give in to it and live for its pleasure.

The great message then from Psalms, is taht we will get to spend time and live in God's house, not as visitors or wanderers, but as sons and daughters coming home eto live with the Father.

Blessing, peace and joy

1 comment:

Duane Highley said...

Welcome back, sojourner.

God does not forsake us; he does not sojourn from earth, yet we can choose to take sojourn from him. How nice that he remains steadfast for us.