Friday, April 27, 2012

Contentment

So I think it is time I started blogging on here again. My first post will be short and simple....

For the past few months I've been trying to focus on contentment. Being content with where God places me in life. In my past, I have suffered from depression, with a large cause of it being dissatisfaction with my life and with who I was. Dissatisfied in my quest to achieve my "goals" for myself. I'm starting to learn more and more, that it isn't about what my plan for my life is, even if that plan is one that is full of noble tasks of helping lots of people. In the end, its about serving God every single day, even in the "smallest" ways and "smallest" situations. "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." (Luke 16:10)

My focus needs to be on carrying out my actions in a God pleasing way every single day. I need to be focused on serving others and reaching out to the people directly around me, and not focused on the sadness for the people that I wish were in my life still but are no longer.

Contentment with God's present calling doesn't mean laziness. It doesn't mean apathy. It means you accept the situation you have been placed in and do your darndest to make the most of it. No task in God's name is too small. We may not all get the chance to part a sea or interpret dreams, but we can all praise God in whatever place in life we are in.

1 Timothy 6:6-8
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

In my past I have had delusions of grandeur at time, not delusions of wealth and power, but of serving God in some vast and amazing way. I'm learning more and more about what Paul is saying from the passage in Timothy. If I could but preach Christ in my everyday life, serve my fellow human, and live a simple life, I think that would be living my life rather amazingly for God. Even more amazing than parting a sea or interpreting a dream. I pray we can all live amazing lives.




(I would also like to say, with my new job, that I am extremely thankful to work with some wonderful people. I don't know how long I will work at Expedia. Maybe a year, 2 years, 10 years, forever. I don't know what tasks God has planned for me and how my professional life will fit in with it all, but I do know I am overwhelmingly blessed to have a good job and to work alongside good people. I'd like to specifically mention my cousins Charles and Alexa Coats, and Brad Worthy. Excellent people that keep me positive and keep me smiling).

1 comment:

Brea Brown said...

There's definitely nothing lazy about being content. It's easy to give into despair. It's easy to find fault with everything. It's sometimes very difficult to be happy with life as it currently stands. Keep fighting the good fight!